Sunday, August 2, 2015

Tips and Best Practices: Life Edition

I am not the most positive person, a fact that has caused me a great deal of grief over the years. While I think that I am a realist, most people just find me to be incredibly negative.

But here's the funny thing: I don't define myself by the things that I hate. I find that this is an uncommon thing. It seems like most people nowadays are all too happy to tell you what they hate. In great detail even. They're a lot more reticent to tell you what they love, though. What they're passionate about. What matters to them.

Me? Not so much. In this way, I strive to be authentic and positive and while it does leave me quite vulnerable I think it's worth it. I would much rather be known as a woman who loves things than someone who is full of hate. Wouldn't you?
I still love My Chemical Romance. Also, I took this picture. Go me!
That said, I realize that about a third of my video is on my hatred of James Franco. I'm sorry about that, but this is illustrative of a larger point: It's a lot easier to talk about that which you don't like than it is to talk about the things that matter to you. We would all do well to be mindful of this.


So, what do you all think? Are you defined by your passions or by what you hate? 

3 comments:

  1. I am so impressed that you are doing this. I always have an entire dialogue of the things I imagine myself discussing with people constantly running in my mind, but when push came to shove I wouldn't even get up in front of the camera to share my thoughts as you are. Keep up the good work!

    Got a little scared during the James Franco portion. He is trying to get a PhD? I'm confused.

    In the general spirit of negativity: I actually find negativity a go to when trying to make connections with new people. A die hard conversation starter has always been to complain about parking. Work. School. No matter where you are or what you do, parking is a struggle and you can find a friend in no time by supporting hearing them out about it. Maybe that is a positive thing at the end of the day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to stop reading comments on my phone. See today's video for more on that. Anyway, James Franco is a PhD student in English at Yale University. I used to love Yale. I went to Yale, briefly. How the mighty have fallen. They'll let any idiot with enough money in there now. And in my field!!!

    Thanks for the support. I figured it was a good way to get back into blogging. Hopefully I'll stick with things with some level of consistency.

    I agree with you about kvetching bringing people together. I was more talking about people who define themselves by their hatreds. Think: Westboro Baptist Church and Hipsters. I find these sorts of people tedious and soul sucking. Yes, we know you hate gays/pop music. But what are you really passionate about? What do you love? They'll never answer that question with the kind of intensity that they talk about their hatreds and I think that's sad. But parking? We can all totally hate parking. :-)

    ReplyDelete