Tuesday, August 18, 2015

This Is Why I Write Nonfiction

I think that my "Witness Protection/Pen Name" is probably pretty lame. This is par for the course. I am the worst at coming up with good names for my characters, why shouldn't I be terrible at coming up with a name for myself?

I think the reason I struggle so much with this aspect of creative writing is because I once read that an author should never waste a name. So, I slave over these names that are loaded with meaning, but they never really sound believable. I've discovered that this is one of the many reasons I prefer writing nonfiction, The names are already written for me. The story is finished. I just have to tell it in a meaningful way.

I'm not lazy, I'm just not as creative as everyone thinks I am.

Me, trying to think of character names.

Lately, I've been working to overcome my lame name affliction and my aversion to fiction. I am currently working on revising a story to submit to a contest. The original draft of the story had really great names that I felt comfortable with because they were based on real people. I don't want to get sued though, so in the process of revising I am also changing names. 

The new names are not contrived. They are not pretentious. They are not sopping wet with meaning. The new names are believable and relatable. I don't love them, but I can live with them and that characters can live with them too. 

As for me and my fake name, I am proud to say that I would rather put my real name on anything I publish. I don't need the pen name, so you probably won't be seeing it around anytime soon. Unless I publish something smutty . . . 


Virginia Kirchner is less my pen name and more my alter ego. She's who I would like to be. The uber me. The me I am becoming. And she's not all that different from the me I already am. 


No comments:

Post a Comment