Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Florida: An Obligatory Post on My Abiding Love

Today in my VEDA video I talked briefly about my Top 5 Florida Foods. The question was rather vague, and I thought that by limiting it to Floridian foods I wouldn't ramble on. I'm really proud that my videos have been clocking in at about 02:30. I am learning brevity. I didn't suck my teeth today either. At least, I don't think I did . . .

The food isn't the only reason I love Florida. I've talked about my affinity for my home state several times this month. I talk about it because it's true, and I miss home. Even the things that sort of suck, like the heat and the "intermittent showers".

I don't care. Florida is "Crazy/Ugly/Beautiful" It's magical, and I don't mean the parts that are owned by The Mouse either. I mean the parts where the trees are the greenest green and the sky is the bluest blue. The parts where there are still filling stations owned by locals that sell random, touristy souvenirs. The parts where you might actually happen up an alligator.

The only gators in my life: Mister and Molly.
The parts where weird things happen.

Lou Reed said "there's a bit of magic in everything and then some loss to even things out." That's what it's like, being from Florida. You hear about "weird Florida stories" and you think that everyone in the state is an inbred, drug addled hick. Everywhere isn't like that, I promise. There are some really wonderful, beautiful people who still live in The Sunshine State, and I miss them.

I miss the heat. I miss the "intermittent showers". I miss living every day knowing that there was a possibility of seeing something interesting and wonderful. Some rogue alligator or errant Sandhill Crane would surely cross my path. Even a gopher turtle would thrill me at this point. Most thrilling of all is the knowledge that I could run into someone who knew me. That I could easily make a phone call and an hour or two later be sitting with an old friend sharing a cup of coffee.


It's hard to describe exactly what it is about Florida that I find so fascinating. Maybe it's just home.


No comments:

Post a Comment