Monday, December 31, 2012

A Long Year; A Long Decemeber

I am sort of at a loss for words - again. I've been trying to compile a list of New Year's Resolutions and it's beginning to feel sort of out of control and forced. I'll leave you, rather, with some end of the year thoughts - some things I feel it might be good to reflect on:

You have the time you make.
I often hear people say "I don't have time for x. I wish I did, it's really important to me." Obviously not. If x were important to you, you would make time for it. What is eating up all of your time, I wonder? Pointless conversations? Television you don't really want to watch? Things you do out of habit rather than necessity? We make time for so many unimportant things in our lives and yet we fail to see how we could squeeze in things that are important. I, for instance, often bemoan the fact that I don't read more. For some reason, it doesn't occur to me that I could read a book in a few days if I were to work at it. Instead, I waste all my free time goofing off on the internet. If we all collected the time we wasted and pooled it together, we could probably cure cancer and have time for a cruise before Easter. In the coming year, I hope to be more mindful of this.

You are what you do.
I may have mentioned that I was once a Baptist G.A. In G.A.s, we learned about missionaries, both foreign and domestic, and in Christian and non-Christian countries. In the early 90s, when G.A.s was a big part of my life, we learned a whole lot about Lebanon, where you could be killed for being a Christian. We were told that the missionaries there could only witness through their actions. By living good Christian lives, they shared the mission of the church and thereby spread their message. Eventually, the locals would wonder what made these people act the way they did, and when they started to ask questions, the missionaries could then share the Bible with them. I am old and jaded and I'm not so sure that I think this approach would work so well in missions, but I believe in the idea behind it - that is, I think you should live your beliefs, whatever they are. While this might be a slippery slope (Well, I believe in bigotry, so . . .), but I'm willing to take that risk because I think if all the people who talk about love, acceptance, social justice, equality, and helping the less fortunate did more than talk about it, we would come home to a better world after our "Yay! We Cured Cancer!" Cruise. And just in time for Easter, too. You can talk about community all you want, but how often do you reach out to people in your day to day life? Facebook is not an acceptable answer. This involves being vulnerable.

Courage is a precious commodity.
I have lots of things to say about the growing population of hipsters in this world, and none of them are good. The hipster is defined by its love of irony which it uses like a shield. This is because they are afraid to be authentic. I used to think that I was the coward of the county because I have an aversion to anything that might prematurely end my life. Furthermore, I run from conflict like the plague and I would rather have a root canal than be criticized. I hate to fight and I only like other people's drama, yet somehow I have managed to (mostly) stay squarely out of hipsterdom. To me, authenticity, sincerity, and personal honesty are worth more than money or gold. I truly appreciate a person who can be open and vulnerable with me, and I try to be open and vulnerable with people as much as I can. I think it's important to be honest and true to oneself. Maybe that's why I find it so difficult to connect with people in my peer/age group. Being real is scary. It takes courage - so they cloak themselves in irony. How did it happen that I am really the courageous one? I'm not sure, but I know that I want to keep pushing myself to be more courageous every day. I encourage you all to do the same. The real you is so much more interesting than disingenuous irony. We'll crucify the insincere tonight - We'll make things right - We'll feel it all tonight. Tonight so bright - Tonight.

And now, for another FPNEPAC selection: The Counting Crows - Long December





No comments:

Post a Comment