Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Brief Word About The Shriners

Today was very full. j^C, That Sprout, and I got up bright and early and headed to Pembroke (the only other city of note in Bryan County, GA) for the annual Christmas Parade and festival. I had not been to Pembroke in quite some time, so I was agog at all the old houses and the general small town atmosphere. It felt sort of like stepping into Mayberry and I love that kind of thing. The festival was modest with mostly handmade crafts and food vendors. One thing I had never seen before that blew my mind entirely were the church booths that were giving away free baked goods and hot cocoa. There were tables chock full of every kind of tasty Christmas treat and confection, and they were just giving them away. I had a chocolate covered peanut butter Ritz sandwich and a cup of cocoa at the first booth and a chocolate covered cherry cupcake at the second. That Sprout and j^C each had a chocolate dipped marshmallow, then later That Sprout had a star shaped gingerbread cookie. We perused the crafts for a while, then we settled into a spot on the curb to watch the parade.

I love parades. I love the old timey cars, the horses, the marching bands, and the floats. My favorite thing EVER though, are the Shriners. If you are some sort of soulless heathen and have never watched the Shriners in a parade, then I suggest you re-exmine your life and get thee to a parade ASAP. Shriners are usually retired men looking for something worthwhile to do with their time, so they play dress up and drive these little go-kart cars all in the name of raising money for children's burn units. I love this. The sheer joy that these men have while they are driving their little cars, or playing their instruments, or maybe just walking around dressed like a Keystone Kop or a Hillbilly is amazing. I have always known about Shriners and enjoyed watching their parade antics, but today as I was sitting on the curb with my child in my lap, I began to really "get it". These men are having fun, enjoying life, and making the lives of others betting in the process. They give back so much to their local communities in the form of joy and happiness while raising money for a truly worthy cause. One of their cars had a decal that read: "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child". When I saw that, I started to tear up. Shriners are just good people, and I am honored to have known a few of them in my time (Homer Baron of Crescent City being one). I am so glad that they exist and that they do what they do. I really hope that future generations of men find this organization as wonderful and as worth as I do. It makes me sad to think that they might eventually meet extinction from lack of interest. Men: Go Be a Shriner!

How can you not love Shriners? Source

j^C does not tend to be as moved by parades, Shriners, cars, horses, or marching bands, so while That Sprout and I were reveling in the glory of small town America, he went to get some funnel cake. I don't understand funnel cake and I'm not really that fond of it. I am a savage, I know. That Sprout was also unmoved; she was more interested in collecting candy from the street. After the parade, we went to the "midway" area of the festival. Like the rest of the event, it was modest, which I felt was a good thing. We paid $4 for a pony ride, which That Sprout LOVED! She kept saying afterward "I ride the pony!" with a great big smile on her face. We made quick work of the car show as by that time someone was getting very sleepy. I got to look at this great Caprice Classic, a Model A, and a Ford Galaxie. I was happy. One day I'll have a car in a car show. Probably the day after I go ice skating in hell . . . On our way out of the festival we bought a gallon of honey for all of my cooking and concocting needs. I'll be interested to see how quickly it disappears.

The drive back to Richmond Hill was long and that Sprout had a little nap. Once we were back in our end of the county we had lunch and then headed over to The Ice Cream Stop for a little dessert and a visit with Santa Claus. This is another aspect of small town America that I am kind of in love with. Every year Mr. Bill and Miss Gayle invite Santa to their ice cream shop. The area children are invited to come and visit Santa and have their pictures taken - for free. The pictures are always great, it's low stress for parents, and everyone involved has a really great time. It can be a little chaotic, but as one of the kids working the shop said today "It's controlled chaos". Mr. Bill also has story time every Tuesday which concludes with a free cone for the kids who come. Free is good, but the community building that goes on in his shop is even better. To my mind, The Ice Cream Stop is like the Drug Stores and Malt Shops you see in 50s sitcoms. People come there to eat, but they wind up making new friends, networking, and generally feeling better than they did when they came in. It's awesome.

I'm going to stop waxing nostalgic about a past that's only partly mine now. I have to get ready. In the midst of all the day's excitement j^C and I were invited to a Christmas party, so I have to get myself and that Sprout ready. Another thing I loved about my own small town was that willing teenage babysitters were in ready supply. Here, not so much, much to my chagrin.

I hope you all enjoy todays FPN Extended Play Advent Calendar song: Bing Crosby: "White Christmas". What can I say, I'm feeling old fashioned and classic.




No comments:

Post a Comment