Sunday, December 9, 2012

Ducks Mate for Life

Today was a strange day. I spent most of it typing up the revisions the Deep kids did on Monday. It was tedious work. I can't help feeling that I may have failed them a little. Did I not push them hard enough? I feel like I could have gotten so much more out of them, and yet I didn't. I hope this is just paranoia related to my unusually high standards. This was my first go round, so I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement. I have high hopes for next semester, at any rate.

One of the things I tend to struggle with myself as a writer is my overuse of commas. I have a gun that I fill with comma buckshot. I then stand 20 feet away from my work and fire, letting the commas pepper the piece as the hit. It's not a good habit, and now I find myself adding commas to the kids work where none are needed. I need to go to comma rehab and detox.

They're comma-ing for me. Source

I took a break from revisions to go to the grocery store this evening. I thought I did great by staying within my budget, only to find that I overspent in spite of myself. I am so very tired of there never being enough money. I picked up an application for a local deli yesterday. They need someone for 17.5 hours a week, and I'm certain that it would be a minimum wage job - so basically I would be working just to pay for my childcare. I am going to apply anyway though. Having childcare will allow me to do more with my free time to make money - like selling Mary Kay and making things for the Etsy store I have never used. I'm trying so hard not to be bitter, but it's hard.

On my way to the store I saw one of the neighborhood ducks dead on the curb. There was another duck a few feet away, presumably mourning. The people in my subdivision really hate the ducks, but I see no reason to just run them down. It's kind of senseless. I felt really bad for the other duck. I know that they mate for life - I wonder if the survivor will die of sadness or if they move on like people. Maybe it varies from duck to duck.

On a brighter note, I received a Christmas card from Captain Tesla and her boyfriend. It kind of made my day. They were in the obligatory holiday pose, sitting in front of a Christmas tree, roaring fire in the background, wearing tacky Christmas sweaters and full death metal makeup. It was pretty much awesome.

I have nothing else right now, dear readers. I am exhausted. I've finished my revision submission, I've created 11 awards for my students, and I've still got a million things to do tomorrow. I will see you after it's all over. Until then, enjoy today's FPN Extended Play Advent Calendar Selection: "Christmas" from Tommy by The Who.



1 comment:

  1. I never understood why people would purposely run over wild life either. It's bad enough with the new empty housing divisions that are still being built. Less land for the wildlife to live off of and more roads to be killed on. Very sad indeed.

    ReplyDelete