Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Siren Song of St. Augustine

Last weekend I went on a "mini break" to Florida for the weekend. j^C and I stayed at this really swanky resort in Ponte Vedra while attending a 3 day marriage retreat. I think that a lot of the information regarding marriage was for the birds, but it was a nice all expenses paid vacation, so I'm not going to complain. Just a thought though: Why are you telling me that couples should be exclusive and using King David and King Solomon (polygamists both) to make your point? Kinda of defeats your point if you ask me. I think that we both got a lot out of it anyway, though.

What else? What else? What else?

I have to say that being in Florida - St. Johns County in particular - put me in a strange place emotionally. I think that St. Augustine and the surrounding beaches might be my favorite place in the world. I never realized exactly how happy it made me until I left and moved to Pensacola. When I came back home after that first semester, it was like my soul was flying. I love it there, and nothing would make me happier than to live there.

A house on the beach is my first choice, preferably on A1A north of St. Augustine, where the coquina is. If that's not an option though, I would gladly take a house near The Florida School of the Deaf and Blind. Walking distance to all the attractions? Yes, please! This dream of mine requires me to be the bread winner though, and that's more Bennies than I can even imagine. It makes me sad. The ocean calls me and pulls me toward it. The city is the perfect blend of historical, touristy, quaint, and modern. It's just about everything I love in life wrapped up in one nice, neat little beach front package
.
For those of you who might not know what
"coquina" is, this is what it is. Source
On Saturday, j^C and I went to see ParaNorman in St. Augustine, and afterward he kept asking me if there was anything I wanted to do in the city before we headed back to Ponte Vedra. I kept saying no, and he couldn't understand why, since I love the city so much, and I know it so much better than he does. I was disinclined for several reasons.

First, I don't necessarily love the city because of any one thing that there is to do there. I am at peace and in my happy place stuck in traffic when I'm there. It's hard to describe. It's like feeling at home. There's nothing I wanted to go do, because I was already doing it. Secondly, if I had gone to some of my favorite places (St. George Street, SJRCC, Fusion (if it's still there)) I might have sunk into a malaise, and I didn't want to do that. 

We did visit the Lighthouse, which I had only ever seen from the road. Since it was nearly closing time we did not buy tickets to go inside the "attraction" as we would have had very little time to see anything. It was still nice to walk around under the trees and look at it from a little closer than before though.

One of my most favorite places is kind of off limits to the general public nowadays since it's now the St. Augustine Amphitheater. Back in my day (am I even old enough to say that?) it was much more accessible and they only used it for this play about Ponce De Leon or something. We went to see it when I was in the sixth grade, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Now they have real concerts there. It's where we saw Duran Duran back in October. Alas. 

After we left the lighthouse, we headed back up A1A toward Ponte Vedra, but I decided to stop off at a restaurant along the side of the road. The parking lot led to the beach. With the tropical storm out there somewhere, the waves were just great and the beach was almost deserted.

The last time I was on that particular bit of the coast, it had been at night and I had been very sick. I wound up having to puke in the bathroom at the restaurant only to discover that in my haste I had ducked into the men's bathroom. Not my finest night, but it still sticks out in my mind as a good memory. Strange. Now that I was back at this beach, I just wanted to find an abandoned beach house and start squatting. Even now, I'm plotting ways that I can spend j^C's future Magical Mystery Tours in St. Augustine. I wonder if roach motels accept doggie dogs as guests?

Where do you feel most at home? Is there some place that you love above all others for no logical reason? Comment and let me know!

1 comment:

  1. St Augustine is my husband and my favorite place to go. We have such a great time there. If you go back, be sure to try A1A Ale House. The food is amazing. It is on the corner across from the Lions Bridge...it is on A1A, of course. We usually stay at a B&B called St Augustin Inn on Cuna Street.

    ReplyDelete