Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Moderate Look at Rick Santorum's Private Life and Politics - Part 2

Continued from Tuesday's post:

The problem is - Rick Santorum is pro-life even in cases where the mother will die. So, people are seeing it as "do as I say, not as I do". After the baby was born and died - they had a funeral for him which is what really interests me. They brought him home and showed him to their other children, who were allowed to "cuddle" him, and then they had a funeral at the home. 

People have been up in arms about this. They are using this event as a political talking point to illustrate that Santorum is "weird" and that his pro-life sentiments have deified the fetus. I take issue with this - which is what I want to write about for OBM. I don't agree with the man's politics and I think it was in poor taste to have brought this story up on the campaign trail without his wife knowing (there's a video of him telling the story in front of a group - at one point the camera pans to his wife who is in tears, saying "this is so inappropriate"). 

I didn't say he was above reproach. He is a politician.

But I am kind of offended that people are making this guy out to be crazy because of the way he chose to grieve his child especially since psychologists say this is now recommended behaviour in such situations. OBM featured a story of Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep - an NPO that provides "remembrance photography" for grieving families. I fail to see how this is any different from what the Santorums chose to do. These people are acknowledging that there was a life and that life was lost. I think that's really important. 

The snark coming from the left is painting us all as heartless baby killers - it's not a good look. I am totally pro-choice, but that does not mean I don't think that life is sacred. This kind of unwanted loss of a child has got to hurt like hell - how dare anyone call a grieving parent's actions into question. There is a huge difference between this kind of loss (whether it was a stillbirth or an abortion is unimportant since they wanted the child) and choosing to terminate a pregnancy for non-health related reasons.

 I think the people who come up with this kind of crap have never had the opportunity to parent, so they don't know what it's like. I am here to tell you that the women I know who've had abortions grieve. They've talked about that on OBM too. Just because terminating a pregnancy is the right choice for you and the baby doesn't make it an easy choice. Not really having a choice is incomprehensible to me. Times like these make me want to turn in my liberal card.

No comments:

Post a Comment