Friday, August 24, 2012

The Rory Gilmore Challenge

Books are Friends! Source
Anybody remember Gilmore Girls? I watch it from time to time on ABC Family, when the mood strikes. Anyone who has seen the show even once knows that Rory Gilmore is a tremendous bookworm. Some tortured soul out there decided to find out exactly how much of a bookworm by writing down every book that Rory claims to have read in the entire series. Those 350 books are what comprise The Rory Gilmore Challenge. (That was a link to the list.)

I'm going to do it. I'm going to read all those books. Yes I am. You watch me.


Here's a list of the ones I've started and not finished:

1.     George Orwell - 1984
2.     Lewis Carroll - Alice in Wonderland
3.     Frank McCourt - Angela's Ashes
4.     William Faulkner - As I Lay Dying
5.     Geoffrey Chaucer - The Canterbury Tales
6.     Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange
7.     Fyodor Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment
8.     Edgar Allen Poe - The Complete Works
9.     Truman Capote - In Cold Blood
10. Shirley Jackson - The Lottery: And Other Stories
11. Gabriel Garcia Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude
12. Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray
13. Henry Robert - Robert's Rules of Order
14. Virginia Woolf - A Room of One's Own
15. Nathaniel Hawthorne - The Scarlet Letter
16. Kurt Vennegut - Slaughter-House Five
17. Vladimir Nabokov - Speak, Memory
18. James Joyce - Ulysses
19. Richard Nelson Bolles - What Colour is Your Parachute?

Here are the ones I've actually completed:

1.     Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl
2.     Seamus Heaney - Beowulf
3.     Joseph Heller - Catch 22
4.     J.D. Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye
5.     Arthur Miller - The Crucible
6.     F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby
7.     William Shakespeare - Hamlet
8.     J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and Sorcerer's Stone
9.     J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
10. Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness
11. David Sedaris - Holidays on Ice
12. Dr. Seuss - How the Grinch Stole Christmas
13. William Shakespeare - Julius Caesar
14. C.S. Lewis - The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
15. David Sedaris - Me Talk Pretty One Day
16. Franz Kafka - The Metamorphosis
17. Charles Bukowski - Notes of a Dirty Old Man
18. S.E. Hinton - The Outsiders
19. John Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men
20. Edgar Allen Poe - The Raven
21. The Brothers Grimm - Rapunzel
22. William Shakespeare - Romeo and Juliet
23. Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
24. Samuel Beckett - Waiting for Godot
25. Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights

So 350 minus 19 plus 25 . . . carry the two . . . I've attempted nearly one half of the challenge already. My goal is to read all the books I have not read - and then re-read the ones I have, over the next four years (Because that's how many years are in high school). We'll see how this works out. I'm going to start . . . right after I finish reading Trainspotting. Are any of you interested in attempting the folly that is The Rory Gilmore Challenge? Let me know! It'll be fun!

P.S. The formatting is wonky and I'm too tired to do anything about it now. I'll fix it tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could get back into reading, but I've fallen into the trap that is video games and TV. The only reading I get done is news from the internet. I really need to focus more on my certifications which count as books, but definitely not the right books for this challenge.

    I wish you much luck and enjoyment doing it though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ready anything since I finished that book you bought me. Got any suggestions on something I might find interesting?

    ReplyDelete