Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Zen of a Clean Floor

And so it begins. Source
I have said it once (somewhere on the internet, I swear) that nothing makes me happier than having a clean floor. My whole house could be falling down around my ears, and if the floors are clean, I can "Keep Calm and Carry On."

It's strange, the happiness and the comfort I get from having a clean floors. It's also strange that I know this - have acknowledged it more than once - and yet, I can't seem to keep the motherfuckers clean. The dog debacle of 2012 has not helped matters, but even before I was ankle deep in things that vacated my dog's stomach, I couldn't manage to keep them clear of dirt. 

I could blame this on the dogs if I wanted. They do bring the dirt in, after all. That's not the problem though. The problem is that if I let the floor go for one day, it's a decadent spiral, and before I know it, I've got the Valley of the Kings in my living room - little doggy footprints dotting the sand. It's unpleasant to say the least. 

You try vacuuming this. Source
"So, vacuum it," you say. 

"No shit," say I. 

That's not the point. Of course it gets vacuumed. And mopped. And all the other crap I have to do to the floor before I can once again be at peace. The point is, that letting it go for one day would be fine. Those dogs bring in a lot of dirt, this is true, but they don't convert the place to an indoor sandbox over night. But one day turns to two, then to four; before long, a week has gone by and I'm picking sand out of my teeth. 

It's that first day, the break in the system that is my undoing. I do very well with consistency in my "systems". Once one part of the system breaks down though, everything becomes utter chaos. In a nutshell, I am not a problem solver. Lately, I am beginning to realize this more and more. One little thing in my life goes awry and I fall to pieces. With important things (read: things where people will see my reaction) I try very hard to appear that I am coping.

"You don't have what I need and you are the only people who carry it? *Smiles* Okay, I'll figure something else out. Thanks!"
Inside, I'm going:

 "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! SonofabitchIhopeyoufuckingdieeatshitanddieyoufuckingcuntweevil!!!!!"
With things where people won't see me react, it's more of a slow disintegration by way of avoidance. 
Day 1: I'm too tired to do the floors.
Day 2: Well, they could go another day.
Day 3: Ignoring the floors by reading that book I've been avoiding for six months.
Day 4: Boy, this book is good . . .
Day 5: How'd all this dirt get in here? Guess I'll sweep . . . this is futile.
Day 6: Where's the vacuum? Shit. Out of vacuum bags.
Soon . . . Source

Day 7: What do you mean you won't have any bags til Friday?!?!
Day 8: I am a failure.
Day 9: I can pretend there's no dirt.
Day 10: Still pretending . . .
Day 11: If I don't spend any time at home, then I won't notice. Say, why don't I have any clean dishes?
Day 12: You know, I'm down to, like, 1 pair of underwear . . . think I'll go shopping for new clothes. It's easier.
Day 13: Vacuum Bag Friday!
Day 14: OMG WHERE DO I BEGIN?!?! HOW DID I LET THIS HAPPEN?!?!
Then, here we are. Source

And all of this could so easily be avoided if would just vacuum and mop every day. Or, if I became a better problem solver. Yeah. That one.

4 comments:

  1. I notice that can happen with me as well. I do a pretty good job of stopping the slide. Or maybe a better way to describe it is that I schedule how much time I can put it off and put it off EXACTLY for that long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just get really overwhelmed - then it looks like this monster that I can't begin to try to slay. It's pretty lame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhere between day 8 and day 9 I burst out into full blown laughter here in the office

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent . . . I try to be funny. Sometimes though, I fear I try too hard.

      Delete