Friday, February 10, 2012

The Mind Boggles: Parenting and Pet Ownership Can Co-Exist

I am an animal lover. I have to exhibit great restraint (not my strong suit) in order to not bring home a cat or another dog. I am hoping that when my husband gets home in March that we can have a conversation about a cat. I think having pets around is good for that Sprout. One of her first words was “doggy”, and I know she loves my mom’s cat a lot more than her loves her.  On days like today, when I’m at odds for no reason, it would be nice to snuggle a kitty. But I have yet to give in to this kitty lust because I want my husband to be involved in the adoption process.



Since becoming a parent, I’ve encountered some disbelief with regard to my dogs. People cannot believe that I’ve kept the dogs with the baby – in the house! They are both large, mixed breed shelter dogs with very gentle dispositions. This never struck me as strange until I began to realize how many people get rid of their pets when they find out they are pregnant. 

I understand rehoming a pet if they are aggressive or if you find your little one has allergies. But sadly, I see ads on Craigslist that read “Gentle dog/cat in need of home. Love dearly, but must make room for baby.” I wonder if these pet owners truly believe that they cannot keep their animals once the baby comes or is this is something that’s expected of parents? The idea never once crossed my mind. I was confident that the dogs would assimilate well, and so they have.


Model citizens.
The day before I went to have the baby, we had to take one of the dogs in for a check-up. I took the opportunity to talk to my vet about my concerns for the dogs. I was worried that they were going to be resentful of the baby or otherwise feel neglected. He told me “for a while, they are just going to have to be dogs”. 

For the past year, that has been the case. They have gotten lots of snuggles, pets, treats, walks, and love, but not as much as before. They are in no way being neglected, but we are talking about dogs that slept in the bed with us every night, went to the dog park every day, and had our undivided love and attention. 

Now, things are getting back to normal. The baby has grown into a toddler and she loves those dogs. I am so proud that she’s learned how to be gentle with them and my mom’s cat at such a young age. She pets them, scratches their ears, and snuggles with them in the floor. They are very happy to have the extra attention and now we’ve become a big, happy, furry family.
If you are pregnant and have pets, please think carefully before rehoming them. With most animals, the transition can work. However, if you are truly concerned about the safety of your little one, I urge you to try to find your animal a safe and loving home. Shelters are so overcrowded and your pet will not understand why he’s been taken from his or her warm and loving home. If sending the animal to a shelter is your only option keep in mind that there are many no kill ones out there as well as non profits that provide foster homes until the animals can be rehomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment