Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Slackers gon' Slack

That sleep thing - yeah - it didn't happen. Dogs, a million phone calls, and some meter man kept me from getting the sleep I needed. Then, I went to dinner in Savannah in order to imbibe some peach tea. The idea was to get another caffeine high going on, and maybe get something done. This did not happen, but I totally saw Paula Deen. She looks just like she does on TV. It was strange. 

So, here's another cop out post. I wrote this last may, and I'm not even reading it before I post. Therefore, I genuinely do not know what it says in any sort of detail. I hope it's not terrible. It is a first person narrative. Enjoy!

As for me and my house, we're going to bed.


Sleep: My Wonderdrug Source
6-5-11

I am in Crescent City at the moment and I have come to the conclusion that it may well be one of the most beautiful places in the world, in it’s own way.

When I come home, I always make it a point to take a driving tour of the city. Sometimes this includes outlying areas, but it always means that I drive around the back streets of Crescent City proper. If you were to pass through our quaint little hamlet, like so many other small towns in Florida, if you were to blink, you would miss it. 

The city limits consist of what lies between Lake Stella and Lake Crescent along three miles of US Highway 17. I am not currently aware of how many people make up the local population, but suffice it to say that it’s so few people that everyone knows everyone and the inner workings of one another’s lives. 

You would think that this would create a nice, close knit community, but that has not been my personal reality. I like to think that it’s some sort of time warped bastion of “the good old days” but there was really nothing good about them to begin with.

If nothing else, my driving tour always includes the street that leads to Winn Dixi. There’s nothing particularly special about this road, and yet everything is special about it. It leads from CR 308 past a couple of low income apartment complexes – one of which my sister used to live in with her dad – when she they moved up in the world from the trailer park. 

After that, there is a four way stop that I am truly surprised I’ve never been in a wreck at. It’s one of those stop signs that no one thinks to stop at. It may as well not even be there. I say it’s a four way stop – but it’s really only a four way to me. The intersecting street has stop signs, but I stop no matter which way I am traveling because no one else observes traffic laws at this intersection. 

After the intersection, on the left hand side of the street is the municipal cemetery. I don’t usually stop in and visit, I just drive by to make sure it’s still there. I don’t know where it would go, but I guess  I worry. I’m not real keen on change. Cemeteries are great for people like me in that respect, the only thing that ever really changes is that it fills up over time.

Dear Friends and Gentle Readers, I'll give you another snippet of this the next time I'm too tired to write a post.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness Joyce that was lovely.

    I continue to enjoy reading everything you write, but that was something else. Jesus.

    ReplyDelete