Monday, February 6, 2012

When Cody's runnin' in the hall and somethin' splatters on the wall . . .

I will be taking That Sprout to a sitter for the whole day in a couple of hours. Why? My house reeks of sick dog. The Cody had an accident yesterday morning which although I cleaned it up has left the house with a particular odor. Last night he had another accident, so the stench is renewed. I will be intensely cleaning the floors today as well as taking the Hoarders approach to house cleaning (throw it all in a box and go through it a leisurely pace later).

I think that the Cody dog is doing a little better. I am happy to see that last night's accident was firm, normal looking poo instead of brown water. I had to trick him into drinking yesterday, but I am hopeful that if I keep up with the loving care he will make a turn for the better. I think he looks better, but I could be projecting. 

Molly Gator (the other, smaller, more mischievous dog) doesn't understand what's going on. She wants Cody to play and he really can't be bothered. He's shown some renewed interest in squirrells which is good and bad. It's good because that means he's feeling better but bad because he needs to take it easy. Even if he does regain a kind of homeostasis after this, we can't let him get too excited for fear that he'll have a heart attack. 


In the meantime, to supplement all the pills I've been giving him, I am also making him homemade dog food. I thought I would share the recipe for anyone who is interested:


Joyce's Special Cody Blend

  • 1 cup dry rice (cooked should yield 2.5 cups)
  • 1 pound ground chuck
  • 8 eggs
  • 0.5 cup canned pumpkin (plain, not pieb filling)
  • Broccoli slaw


Cook rice either on stove or in rice cooker. In the meantime, brown meat and scramble eggs. Combine in large bowl and set aside. Cook as small amount of broccoli slaw to add to the mixture. When rice is done, add rice, pumpkin, and slaw. Combine and serve to the dog. 

Servings vary based on size of dog.


*Note: Broccoli can cause intestinal discomfort in dogs. Start with a small amount. If your dog handles it well, you can add more to every batch until you are using a whole bag. DO NOT RANDOMLY ADD VEGGIES TO YOUR HOMEMADE DOG FOOD! MANY VEGGIES ARE TOXIC TO DOGS! LOOK IT UP BEFORE YOU FEED IT TO FIDO!


No comments:

Post a Comment