Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Weekly Reflections #3

Jack Handy's Deep Thoughts. Source
I have decided to dispense with the lists for today, as I accomplished exactly nothing this week that was list worthy. Two weeks into the new year and I took a vacation . . . but I swear! It wasn't my fault! j^C had 10 days off from work with which to celebrate out anniversary, and I just can't do things with him in the house. Work is a solitary experience for me. Sprouts and Mojo Jojos are acceptable workday companions, but j^Cs are certainly not. They ask too many questions. I get aggravated. I want to kill. It's a bad scene. So, I got nothing done this week.

But!

On Thursday, we headed to South Carolina to begin our anniversary weekend getaway. (3 Years) Our final destination was Raleigh, but first we had to relieve ourselves of That Sprout. She was to spend the weekend with Grammy and Grampy while we revisited our old haunts in Raleigh. After driving through a huge rainstorm and staying the night with the in-laws, we finally arrived in North Carolina. The first thing we did was eat at COOK OUT.
Delish. Source
Have you ever heard of COOK OUT? Have you ever eaten at COOK OUT? No? You haven't lived. One slaw dog and mint Oreo milkshake later, we were back on the road to Raleigh. We arrived at the hotel around 8:30 - and the hotel was amazing. $55 a night with a stove, fridge, and DVD/VCR. How did we get so luck? I hope that sometime in the near future I can manage a solo getaway for writing purposes to that very same place. Why? Because work it a solitary experience. Best thing? I can even bring Them Dogs.

On Saturday, we met  back up with our pals from the Raleigh Tabletop RPG group. It was nice to have friends again. I felt like the popular kid. We played games and rolled dice for eight hours, then we all made our way to Red Robin and closed the place down. There was much laughter and merriment, and I was happy. As much as I want to live near the beach (Santa Monica, Pensacola, St. Augustine - in that order), I really miss the community we had built in Raleigh and I wouldn't mind moving back. It's sickening how many more things there are to do in that area compared to the greater Savannah area. Sadly, where I live now seems to be nothing more than a glorified tourist trap. John Cusack lied to me. He will pay.

On Sunday, we tried to go to Ruckus, j^C's other favorite restaurant, but they decided not to open on time and we were on a deadline, so we ate at the Buffalo Brothers that they built across the street from the apartment where we used to live. This is a point of contention with j^C and I because when we lived in those slums, there was nothing on that road but a McDonald's, a Food Lion, and a drive-thru Starbucks. Now, they've made the slums into livable apartments, there's all sorts of new restaurants and stores (even a micro-brew store!), and we don't live there anymore. I want to write a stern letter, but what would I say? "How dare you improve living conditions in this neighborhood! Who do you think you are?"

Uncle Ruckus = No Relation. Source


Since we got home things have been slow and we've yet to resume our previous routine. j^C had Monday off for MLK and That Sprout began showing signs of a cold. We staying in all day yesterday, snuggling on the couch and watching Garfield and Friends. Thinking she was on the mend, I took her out for some ice cream last night. She was fine for about an hour, then she started hacking uncontrollably. When we got in the car, she told me that her ear hurt. So, walking outside, in the cold, is a no-go until That Sprout is better. First husbands then children ruin my plans. Oh well. Better luck next week, I guess.

Six - two - and even. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment