Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Weekly Reflections #1

I love Jack Handy and his Deep Thoughts. Source
Another new feature? Why, yes! I told you guys that I'm going to start getting organized and taking things seriously around here - and this is yet another facet of that commitment. I will be posting Weekly Reflections every Wednesday until such time as I decide that it's not a good idea. My point in doing this is to highlight the things I did in the week - rather than constantly telling you what I'm going to do, and then not following through. I think this is a more positive way of going about things, don't you? While I will be reflecting on some of the negative events of the week, I hope that this method of reporting will keep the negativity to which I am so prone under control.

Why Wednesdays? Well, I've only been keeping track of things since the 2nd. (Really, who starts with changes and resolutions on the 1st? It's impossible, what with the hangovers and the soul food.) So, without further ado:

This Week I . . .

  • Walked 17 miles
  • Took a yoga class
  • Started the Couch to 5K program
  • Lost 2 pounds
  • Started taking my pills regularly
  • Read Queen Bee Moms and Kingpin Dads by Rosalind Wiseman
  • Applied to the Teacher Ready online teacher certification program
  • Went to Church
  • Cooked dinner for the whole week on Sunday
  • Reached out to some new friends for lunches and playdates
  • Washed Molly Gator
  • Made $50
  • Wrote the first draft of an article 
  • Wrote in a journal - for myself
Yeah. I'm pretty stoked about a few of these small accomplishments. I feel like I am working toward something - like I am in control of what I am doing for once. I have to submit the second part of my Teacher Ready application today which is proving to be harder than one would think. There are six essay questions to answer after reading a case study. The answers are supposed to be 150-200 words each. Doesn't sound so bad, but it's hard to concentrate with a needy two year old vying for your attention. Nap time is crunch time I guess.

In about an hour, I'm going to head out for day 2 of Couch to 5K. Exciting! I wish I had a playlist put together for these running endeavors . . . I need to make one. Yeah.

So, what was lousy about my week? Not a whole lot. After all this exercising and overall self improvement, I've been in a pretty good mood. Most of the rotten things had to do with my charges:
  • Molly Gator rolled in something dead and SMELLED LIKE HOT DEATH
  • That Sprout was sick with a 24 hour bug
  • That Sprout has been waking me up throughout the night every night this week
  • That Sprout pooped in the bath water yesterday - ick
  • I have yet to get around to cleaning out my car or doing laundry
See? Not so bad. As you can see, I've been working hard and going out of my comfort zone all in the name of growing my own little patch of courage. Maybe I'm not doing it for the fame either. Maybe I'm just doing it because I feel like human garbage if I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment