Thursday, January 17, 2013

"I Love Things!" Thursdays - The One With Pants


It has been a long, bitchy week, but now it's almost over and we have a moment to revel in the things I love. I hope you love some of them too!

This Week I Love:

1. Steven Schub
This is what loving life looks like, m'friends. It's sexy. Source
Once upon a time, in the long, long ago, I was walking around with my friend Shelly at the Jacksonville Warped Tour. As we wandered, we were passed by a very good looking man with those mini flyer you get at such events - the sort that promote bands and future shows. He walked up to us, handed us each a flyer, and proceeded to tell us that his band, The Fenwicks, were going to be playing at Freebird Live later that week. I looked down at the flyer and then asked "What exactly is an Afro-Celtic-Yiddish-Ska band?" This lauched the man into a spirited spiel peppered with all sorts of Yiddish vernacular. I couldn't help myself, so I used what Yiddish I had in my repertoire (Thank You, Lenny Bruce!) to parlay in kind. The whole exchange lasted about a minute, but it made an impression. He though I was not goyim, and I was an instant fan.  The man, of course, was the multi-talented Steven Schub - star of sound, stage, and screen. I have followed his career since 2005 and reading about his myriad sundry career experiences, antics, and exploits never fails to bring a smile to my face. Also, this is a man who returns emails and will friend you on Twitter. I love him because he is in love with life.

2. Ed Wood
It takes so very little to make me happy. Source
Wednesday is trivia night which means I get to spend a couple of hours with our friend Carl-Os*. Currently, Carl-Os, j^C, and I are the reigning champions - which is super exciting in and of itself. My favorite thing about Wednesdays though is the brief moments between questions when Carl-Os and I discuss bad films. This conversation is currently ongoing, but in the first week of the discussion we talked about Ed Wood and I nearly died when Carl-Os said that he had not only seen but actually owned  Glen or Glenda? I get very excited about people who know movies I know. I'm like an excited puppy about it, and it's hard to control the enthusiasm. I might just pee all over the floor one day. I can never be sure. This almost happened last night when Carl-Os walked in with an Ed Wood DVD collection for my viewing pleasure. I am so excited, I pretty much can't stand it, and sadly I'm going to have to wait to watch any of them until next week. Alas. I might add that part of Carl-Os' friend appeal is the fact that he is sympathetic to Ed Wood and he agrees with me that he wasn't the absolute worst filmmaker in history. Love.

* Name sort of changed to protect . . . something.

3. Bela Lugosi as Jesus Christ
Have you ever seen anything more beautiful?
No. No you haven't. Source
My love of Ed Wood should belie my love of Bela Lugosi, but in case you failed to make that connection I'll spell it out for you: I LOVE BELA LUGOSI! After I received the Ed Wood collection from Carl-Os at dinner I went home and found a picture of Bela as Christ on my Facebook wall. Mojo Jojo knows me so well. I almost died from awe inspired reverie. This is why Mojo Jojo is my bestest buddy in the whole wide world. He knows about the little things.

Now, I bet you're wondering why Bela, "Mr. Scary" himself was dressed as Jesus. Apparently, when he was still living in Hungary he was cast as The Lord in a Passion Play. The part meant so much to him that he had a series of photos taken of him dressed for the role. Dracula or no, Bela was a beautiful man and a phenomenally talented actor of stage and screen. I always knew he was the second coming, now I've got the photos to prove it. Love him.

4. Sarah Von from Yes and Yes
Sarh Von Bargen = Living Proof of the Above. Source
If you don't read the blog Yes and Yes, you should. You just should. There's no reason not to. It's a quick and fun read chock full of useful information, travel tales, and random tidbits of my favorite thing ever: First Person Narratives! This week Sarah mentioned the Pomodoro App in a post which inspired me to look into the Pomodoro Technique which is totally changing my life. She's also posted some really great tips about blogging and networking which I've begun to take into consideration. She's just a fountain of knowledge. If you want to know more things, seriously, read her blog. It will change your life and blow your mind. *Note: I am not posting a picture of her because she's a for real blogger and I don't want to get in trouble for stealing pictures. However, if she should approve my use of her likness there will be an edit. But you know what would be even easier that waiting to see if that happens? Go to her blog. Love.

5. Pants. A Decent Pair of Pants.
So too, all I wanted was some pants. A decent pair of pants. You know, to aid in my running efforts. Well, yesterday, I got em'. I am happy. They are great. I can carry on with supportive sweat wicking. Yay! Love.





4 comments:

  1. Gosh! I'm so flattered - so glad you're loving Yes and Yes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I think I am better for you and your little haven of positivity on the interwebs. Being the downer I most often am, it's nice to know there are sites out there that are sure to make me smile - yours being one of them. Also, I love what you do with the True Story bit - that was one of my goals with this blog, but I haven't made it happen yet. There will be time though. Consistency is key. And networking I guess . . .

      Delete
  2. Hear dat? Dat's duh sound of a Schub blushing!!! Bela Lugosi, Ed Wood and... Moi? Jesus Christ! (Oh, wait,he's there too!) Sheesh! @$%@#$%!!! $%#@#$%@#$%@#$^$%#^%!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't blush! You're really talented - also, you're a mensch. :-) You spread a lot of happiness and joy around. I think the world needs more Schubie Shakes. Continue the good work man.

      Delete