Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wednesday Reflections #4

Good afternoon dear friends and gentle readers! You guys know the drill by now, right? Wednesday is the day Uranium J shares the good, the bad, and the ugly bits of her week. I so badly want to call this series "Slings and Arrows" because of my unadulterated love of Paul Gross, but I'm pretty sure that both a sling and an arrow are bad things. Alas.
Philosoraptor:
Not as cute as Paul Gross. Source
Lets get started, shall we?
Without a doubt, Deep Speaks! was the highlight of my week.

On Monday night Deep fellows, Deep kids  parents, family, and friends filled the Historic Savannah Theater.

Why? 

Because that night over 100 kids from 17 different schools in Chatham County became published authors . 

The books were distributed and then for the next hour and a half we were mesmerized by these incredible young voices as they read their work. Three of my own Deep kids read, and I was beaming the whole time, just like someone's mom. I am so incredibly proud of my kids from Georgetown Elementary, the work they produced, and of the work my teaching partner and I did with them. I can't wait to get back in the classroom - February 11 cannot come soon enough!
We made the marquee!!! Source
I want to thank everyone who works with Deep:

  • All the Writing Fellows 
  • The Board 
  • The Kids 
  • The Schools 
  • The Parents 
  • My teaching partner Mel 
  • The three amigos who make it all happen: 
    • Sarah Bates 
    • Joanna Dasher
    • Catherine Killingsworth
Each and every one of you is wonderful and I am so grateful to be a part of this outstanding organization. I am truly better for it. 

Also, thanks to 
  • My friends Carl-Os and Ossiferly for supporting me, Deep, and my kids on Monday night - you made my night. 
  • B.A. MooreCox and all the other babysitters who have allowed me the freedom to be involved in this organization 
  • Mojo Jojo who has listened to and supported me through all of my trials and tribulations
 Lastly, many thanks to 
  • j^C who has supported my teaching endeavors fiscally, emotionally, and with fantastic examples of  "how not to write", gleaned from some of his finest subordinates. Without all of you, nothing I have done would have been possible.

Best. Thing. Ever. Source
While we are on this high note, the second most fantastic thing I did this week was bake the cake I told you about yesterday as we discussed my kitchen follies. What I failed to mention is how happy I was baking that cake. See, cooking for my friends and family is just about my favorite thing to do. Although I was tired and I was frustrated because of the various sundry obstacles I encountered during the whole process, I got over that quickly and was really happy - especially when I got a favorable review from our guest of honor.

But even though I enjoy the praise, I find cooking to be a meditative act. I really needed to make that cake this weekend, for myself and my own sanity. As I was grating the carrots and assembling the batter I was totally present and immersed on the task at hand. I was happy. Life was good. There need to be more dinner parties and more cakes. It is good for my soul.
Yes, actually. Source
Other good things:

  • I've resumed my morning walks 
  • I've been spending more time with friends 
  • I'm taking my meds 
  • I am now part of a leadership team with Deep 
Lots of exciting things going on, as you can see.

Not so great?

  • Weight loss is not really happening and the recent onset of ovary pain leads me to believe that the flippant diagnoses of PCOS I received in 2009 might have been more than bullshit. I have a ob/gyn appointment next week, so as soon as I know something, I'll post it here.
  • That Sprout has been giving me a run for my money as of late. Screaming all through the night is so my favorite thing ever. Not. 
  • Team "And They Never Found the Body" is no longer the undefeated reigning champion at Pub Trivia. Our loss was a humiliating blow, but moral is high and we are in good spirits. We fully intend to take back the top spot tonight. We are the champions!

Now, for the just plain weird:
  • Cody Cornelius, sweet and neutered doggie dog that he is, took it upon himself last night to mount and hump the unsuspecting Molly Gator (who is spayed). For over an hour. They were both full of cheer and doggy smiles. Very disturbing to witness as j^C and I tried to have adult conversation.


2 comments:

  1. Go you and go Deep. I'm jelly. I'm sitting here trying to work out the logistics of getting half a dozen students from P'cola to the AFSP walk in DC in June, and if it comes out half as well as Deep Speaks seems to have I'll be pleased. Deep just seems like such a great thing to be a part of though, even though I still occasionally question the sanity of anyone who works with children for an extended period. Says the girl whose dream would be opening a bookstore/tutoring center.

    I want that cake pan! OMG. It's fantastical.

    I feel the exact same way about cooking and knitting. Both are a part of my chillax routine.

    There is a hole in my life where Pub Quiz night used to live. Keef Richards' Liver was on a fairly impressive win streak before I moved/the pub closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the props. :-) I know you can make the DC thing happen - Road Trip! "Did you skin a cheetah?"

      Deep is awesome, and I would love to see it grow into something that can happen in other counties. It's great.

      I wish I knew where they did Pub Trivia in P-Cola . . . no idea. We made 3rd place this week, so that's good.

      As for Zen and the art of cooking, I'll be making another masterpiece this weekend as j^C is helping someone move. Excited!

      Also, someday I will get the hang on replying to the original comment and not the post. Today is not that day. :-( Wanh-wanh.

      Delete