Thursday, January 31, 2013

"I Love Things!" Thursdays - The One Where We Bring Sexy Back


Boy, do I have a lot of love this week, and you dear readers are going to get a double dose! Let's get started, shall we?

This Week I Love:

1. TV Mania
I wanted to write about this so badly last week, but I waited and it shot up to the top of the list today. Nick Rhodes and Warren Cucurrullo's side project TV Mania is finally happening. I could not be happier! It's no secret that I am an unabashed and lifelong Duran Duran fan. It's also common knowledge that Nick is my favorite member of the group and my favorite era was the Warren Years. I loved the sound he brought to the band - some really fantastic and yet underrated guitar work was going on then, especially on Liberty  and Medazzaland. I can't wait for this album to drop and I pray to all that is sacred and holy that they tour with it. The first time I saw Duran Duran was in 2000 when they toured Pop Trash (which, incidentally contained several reworked TV Mania songs) - this was shortly before Warren left and the original lineup reconvened  Warren is fantastic live. If they tour, you can expect to hear all about it, cus I'll be there with bells on, let me tell you. Passionate Love.

2. Deep Compilation: Fall 2012 
Not really, but still. Source

Who has two thumbs and is a legit copy editor? This girl right here. In addition to all the great and wonderful things I said yesterday about the Deep program and Deep Speaks!, I was also afforded the opportunity to help edit one of the anthologies, and in the back of the book I am acknowledged as an editor. Excited. Why? Because like Stanley Motss, I did it for the credit. Pride Love.

3. Steel Cut Oats
I LOVE OATS. From this site: Source

You know that little rhyme:

Peas porridge hot,
Peas porridge cold,
Peas porridge in the pot
Nine days old?

Well, this is me with steel cut oats - or as I call them "scroats" - at this time. Hot and savory with salt, pepper, olive oil, and cheese? Yes. Soaked overnight in pineapple Chobani and topped with bananas and coconut oil? Don't mind if I do. Soaked in black cherry Chobani with vegan dark chocolate? Get in my tummy right now.

But this week I got really creative: Almond Joy Mousse Oats. Yes, it is as good as it sounds, and so simple. Add cocoa powder and melted coconut butter to vanilla Chobani. Stir until completely combined. Add steel cut oats. Refrigerate for 12 hours. Eat.

The best part? I used the great big tub of Chobani and made enough to last all week. They got softer and thicker and richer every day. De-lish Love.

4. Daydreaming
Behind my eyes and between my ears is my absolute favorite place to be. As a mom, a wife, and an alleged "responsible adult", I don't have a lot of time for daydreaming or fantasies these days. However, this week it seems that I have been able to find some time. It has been glorious. The best part? I've been inspired to write more. Poems are happening, people. Prose is happening. I am inspired. I am having imaginary conversations with the people I admire most. I am learning about what makes me tick. I am happier. Uncle George was right, we all need more time for daydreaming. Dream Love.

5. Baking Better
Collins, I stole this because I don't have a picture of your smiling face! Source
When we were in Raleigh a couple of weeks ago, we had the good fortune to see all of our RTR pals and their significant others. Collins is my favorite non gaming friend from the Triangle, and I finally got his blog URL after all this time. I feel sort of dumb because www.bakingbetter.com shouldn't be so hard to remember, but I have a hard time with that sort of thing. I have added this little slice of culinary internet heaven to my blogroll now though, and I have been busy reading all the posts I missed in the year or so I've know it was there. Delicious recipes and stunning pictures abound. Even if you think you can't bake, go check it out. With Collins, you can! Cooking Love!

6. The Tummy Project
202 followers and growing! Source
Another far flung friend, Raynala has started The Tummy Project on Tumblr. It's tummy pictures and body acceptance and self love all over the place around there, which is fantabulous! I can't wait to get my tummy up there - I'm hoping to do a double tummy picture with That Sprout, showing that I earned my stripes (stretch marks). I encourage everyone who reads this to get out you camera and take a tummy picture to submit to the project. We humans come in all shapes and sizes and they are all beautiful. Help spread the Tummy Love, people!

*If you don't have a Tumblr account, please email me and I will pass your info on to Raynala!


7. Jim Nabors Got Married!
This is what LOVE looks like, people. Source
 Let me say it again: Jim Nabors GOT MARRIED! I am tearing up writing this because it makes me so happy. This is a huge deal for me as a gay rights advocate and as a lifelong fan of Jim Nabors. Some of you probably don't know who Jim Nabors is or why this is a big deal. Allow me to educate you:

Jim Nabors played Gomer Pyle on The Andy Griffith Show, and later on the spinoff series Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. He was a simple North Carolina good ol' boy with a heart of gold. I love Gomer. I loved his cousin, Goober. I loved all things affiliated with the Andy Griffith show. And, of course, I love the gays.

Several years ago, I hear a rumor that had been circulating for years that Jim Nabors was gay. I paid this no nevermind. I am of the opinion that until you come out of the closet, your sexual orientation is of no concern to me. I forgot about it.

Then yesterday, I see online that Jim Nabors flew to Seattle from Hawaii with his partner of 38 years and tied the knot, thus legitimizing their relationship AND officially coming out of the closet at age 82. I understand that he kept his orientation under the radar all these years not out of repression, but because he is a private man. I get that. I respect that. But now that he has come out, I am so proud of him and so happy that he doesn't have to hide his true self from his fans any longer. I just want to find him and give him a great big hug. Jim Nabors and Stan Cadwallader, congratulations on your recent nuptials  You made me smile. I love that you made your love official. Equal Rights. Equal Love.

8. Overcoming Adversities as a Gay Teen: One Generation at a Time
This is what COURAGE looks like, which I LOVE. Source
This film was made by Devon Yaffe, a highschool student. It is incredible. The film began as a school project and turned into this feature lenghth documentary opus. I don't know what to say. I am so impressed with this project and I am especially happy that this young man reached out to gay men across generational divides. Clearly, these men all have similar stories despite their differences in age. This kind of thing is so important and really in the spirit of what First Person Narrative is all about. Clearly, I have a lot to learn about recording personal histories from young Mr. Yaffe. Love! Love! Love!

9. Texting
I've assimilated and that's okay. Source

I have given in to the beast, and I'm texting with some old friends that I've been missing (E.E. and J.W.). I prefer talking on the phone, but I love being in contact with these people again. People you love make life worth living. Of course, I refuse to devolve into text speak. Not happening, people. Not happening. Old Friends Love.

10. Wonderwall
There's not a lot to say here. I've been listening to this song on repeat. It is my life. 

"There are many thing that I would like to say to you, but I don't know how. But maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me. And after all, you're my wonderwall." Love song.






2 comments: