Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Walk On

I talked to the doctor about the anxiety and his suggestion was to walk more. This is his cure all for everything I tell him about it would seem.

Depressed? Walk more.
Anxious? Walk more.
Cancer? Walk more.
Brain tumors? Walk more.
Broken foot? Walk more.

So, I guess I'm going to walk more. The idea is that I am going to use the anxiety to my advantage and make it my friend. I am more than a little skeptical about this approach, but hey, maybe it'll work.


Otherwise, yesterday wasn't so bad. I don't feel like I got much done. I spent the afternoon playing in the rain with That Sprout. Her best friend is moving next week so I'm trying to let them spend as much time together as possible before the inevitable occurs. That Sprout is going to be heartbroken, I just know it. I am not looking forward to that day at all.

I spent the morning on the phone with a friend of mine who may be getting evicted from his house. He's pretty stressed about the situation and I feel pretty rotten because I don't think there's anything I can do to help him. I'm going to write some emails and make some phone calls and see what I can find out. I know that this came up with Eleanor's property when I was a kid and nothing ever came of it, so maybe it will all be fine. The property is certainly not unlivable, it's just not up to code. In a way, it's a nice thing for me to have a project with a purpose. I'm sick in that way, I guess.

I've been thinking that I really need to get over to Wilmington to see Mel (AKA That Cunt). Money being as tight as it is, I don't know when that will happen, but I'd love to make it happen soon. I am happy to report that it seems as though I will be able to stay here until That Sprout is out of school so long as I don't take any "vacations" to Florida next year. I am a little resentful of that because I don't consider my trips to Florida vacations, but whatever. If I had a job it would be so much easier to justify the trips and so much harder to make them.

I'm still working on getting the editing business off the ground. The anxiety has been a major setback, but I feel like I am ready to get back on track with things. I still wish there were more money to invest in starting the business, but maybe that's where the MFA comes in, right? And in other news, I've begun putting together a chapbook of 18-23 pages of poetry for a contest. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Hopefully, I'll win!

While I was trying to get my friend's mind off of his troubles yesterday we started talking about Southern identity and how I don't much have one. That makes me a little sad - I wish I had more of a Southern identity to work with. Friend says it's because I'm too high minded. I don't know about that. I think I just have a New York State of Mind. I don't know . . . Maybe I do have a Southern identity and I just don't realize it. I definitely have a Florida identity. I ought to explore this some in my writing. Speaking of which, NaNoWriMo is coming up and I haven't committed yet. If I do, my novel will be a modern adaptation of Beowulf. Evocative, no? I think, yes. I have a dragon to slay.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment