Sunday, October 6, 2013

Nick Cave, Obsession, and the Realm of Forms and Ideas

Sunday evening coming down, and I wrote something this evening. I don't think it needs to see the dark of night right now, but, in the interest of consistency, I will leave you all with a thought and a song. And a thought on that song.

Thought: I would give almost anything to have a friend I could meet in the middle of the night at the Waffle House for coffee and deep conversations about everything and nothing.

Song:



Thought on Song:
"This desire to possess her is a wound
And its naggin' at me like a shrew
But, I know that to possess her
Is therefore not to desire her
Then ya know
That lil' girl would just have to go"

Cave sings these lyrics telling the listener that his desire is more pleasurable than the fulfillment of that desire. I can relate. It's lovely wanting something very badly.

Now, in the song the speaker is obsessive. I like to think that I am not Nick Cave levels of crazy. Instead, I feel that the pleasure I derive from desire comes from the knowledge that the idea is always better than the manifestation of that idea. Plato tells us that ideas are perfect, but the moment they take form they lose their previous perfection.

This is more or less exactly how Plato's Realm of Forms and Ideas was
explained to me in college. Why is always a table?
Therefore, my desire, be it for a situation, a conversation, or a possession will most likely always be better in my head than it could ever be in reality. Sometimes, I'd like to prove the theory correct though. I would love to go for coffee right now and have a real conversation instead of the imaginary ones I have been having in my head. I want to go drown in burning pools of coffee.

I am manic right now, I think. I don't care if I ever sleep again.




No comments:

Post a Comment