Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Deep Begins!

Dig the new name and the new logo.
Today was the first day of Deep. Tres exciting! I am at a new school with a new co-fellow and Things went really well. Almost too well . . . I feel like it's a trick. The kids were engaged, well behaved, and industrious. I didn't have to prod them to cooperate - they just did it. It was kind of scary. While I am so grateful to have a cooperative group, they were so intense. I think that our biggest challenge over the coming weeks is going to be getting them to loosen up. A challenge I gladly accept. At least this is a group that will be more receptive of the types of readings I would like to discuss. T.S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men" is so on the table right now. Can I get an "Amen"?

In other news, I saw my therapist in her new office today. I don't know how I feel about that. I don't like change. I did however like the buttery leather couch, so there's that. I also liked the fact that she is in the office space above the Savannah Senior Center. Maybe I can weasel my way into a position there over time. If nothing else, it's the best thing ever to get to pet a kitty in the lobby. I hope that's a recurring theme.

Seriously though, what a building! Source
I feel like I'm having a hard time writing right now. I imagine that's because I am feeling very out of sorts. In an effort to address my cholesterol issue I started back on my weight loss and cholesterol medications today. I hate taking medications. They make me feel yuck. I was just not with it at all today. But! I persevered. I am here. I am writing. When this is done I will be doing some exercise and tending to some household chores. Hopefully I will get back into the swing of things soon enough. I would really love to be free of medications by 2015. I think that's a worthy goal. On the bright side, I was a model patient today and as far as I know I have not further exacerbated my nasal perforation. So, there's that.

I am also happy to report that I did not spend money needlessly on food while I was in Savannah today. I planned ahead and brought a bag full of food for my meals while I was out, and I only wound up eating half of what I had. Yay diet pills! Or, maybe Fox* (Fake Lox) is just filling. I am also pleased to report that my first Big Wednesday was more or less a success. I had critique group this morning, then my therapy appointment, followed by Deep, and finally trivia with j^C, Carl-os, That Sprout, and our new trivia pals, Man of Stroud and Woman of Steele. I think it went well and everyone seemed to have fun, so maybe this will be a thing. There was even talk of going to the Tybee Pirate Festival and to see The Silence of the Lambs at the Lucas Theater. A social life!

The biggest bummer of my day was the fact that my car, my house, and a whole lot of my things still reek of gasoline. I will be addressing this gas problem tomorrow when I take the car to get detailed. Yay. The unexpected upside of the day? Hyperbole and a Half updated. Also, the condom:

Foxy Loxy condom: Week 3
*Fox (Fake Lox)

Cook 1 cup Steel Cut Oats
Add: 
- 2 servings Sharp
- 2 servings VERY GOOD OLIVE OIL
- Kosher Salt
- Cracked Pepper

Still well. Allow to cool completely. Cut into 2 halves. Top with 1 serving smoked salmon (not actual lox - it's good but waaaaaaaaaay too much salt), thin sliced red onion, tomato, cucumber, and capers. Eat with a fork and pretend it is a bagel with lox. Not nearly as good, but a decent substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment