Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Identifying What I Need

For the past 3 weeks or so it's been very up and down. I've been on edge, losing sleep, unmotivated, and obsessing over things (people) that make me feel safe and secure. There were a couple of nights where I did not sleep at all. My mind was racing out of control. There were days where it was a success to get out of bed and all I wanted to do was cry. And then there was the anger. So much anger.

The anger made flesh in the form of an angry and painful lip zit. Ouch.

Things sort of came to a head yesterday when I had to fight myself not to punch holes in the wall and in people's faces. I was not okay. I had to get away. So, I went to Denny's and had a bowl of chili. Fueled by protein and solitude, I realized that the way I had been feeling was triggered by a series of bad events, and that I could have stopped the train a lot earlier if only I had realized what was going on. Instead, it took me about 3 weeks to figure things out and get back on the right track.

 Out of sorts one week less than this condom has been on the fence.
Here we see "Week 4: The Shriveling."

Today I am in a better place. A good place. And what is my first inclination? To reach out to my friends who are not in such good places. This is setting myself up for failure, I think. Since I am good right now (at least I think I am), wouldn't it be best to work on bolstering my own emotional infrastructure so that next time something unpleasant blindsides me I well equipped to deal with it? In my world, 3 weeks is pretty good recovery time, but 3 days would be better.

How could I not be in a better place? I saw a kitty today!

This is not to say that I will not reach out to my less than okay friends. Ultimately, I will be able to do that and take care of myself. I like being helpful and I can't help but worry and wring my hands when I know that my favorite people are suffering. Especially since I know exactly what that sort of suffering feels like. Thankfully, most of the people on my "fret" list are seeing counselors and have treatment plans, so I won't have to worry too much. As for the ones who are not currently seeking help - you can lead a horse to water and all that, right? God helps he who helps himself. So too must I, at least for now.

I think the universe was trying to tell me something about my attitude.


But what does this infrastructure look like? I'm not really sure, but I'm going to take a stab at identifying it anyway. So now, a list:
Uranium J's List of Needs for Emotional Stability
  • Regular (low carb/low sugar/high protein) meals
    • I get mean when I'm hungry.
    • Emotions go haywire when my blood sugar is out of whack.
    • Protein makes me feel good and it's good for me.
  • Regular exercise 
    • Exercise releases endorphins.
    • Endorphins make you happy.
    • Happy people don't kill their husbands.
  • Clean and Organized Home
    • Clean floors make me happy.
    • The less time I spend looking for things, the more time I have for happy making endeavors.
    • If the house is clean and maintainable I can stop worrying about it.
  • Lots of time alone
    • I don't do well with a lot of questions.
    • I like to be left to do my own thing.
    • It makes me appreciate my time with people all the more.
  • Being present with loved ones
    • I will feel like a good friend/partner/mother.
    • Not being present stresses me out.
    • I will be happier for having richer and fuller experiences.
  • Music! Music! Music!
    • I don't like silence.
    • I love music. 
    • I am happier in general when there is a backing soundtrack to my life.
  • Routines for Morning/Evening
    • I can make time for happiness essentials, like exercise and writing.
    • I will avoid further breakouts (I hope).
    • I can plan for the next day, thereby avoiding stress.
  • Establish Independence
    • I can do things by myself.
    • I don't need someone to hold my hand.
    • I don't need anyone's permission to do what is good for me.
  • Zen
    • I cannot change other people.
    • I cannot control the world around me. 
    • I am only in charge of my actions and reactions.
  • Drink More Water
    • Caffeine is a trigger.
    • Dehydration is a trigger.
    • Water is good for your body and your skin.

      And more water means more time looking at signs like this.






No comments:

Post a Comment