Friday, June 7, 2013

Discussion: "Friday I'm in Love" with Bipolar Disorder

First things first: Can I just say that my inner fan girl is more than a little crushed about Nick Rhodes' new girlfriend? Nefer Suvio is stunning and Nick is a man of impeccable taste - of that we are certain. I'm just a little miffed that she's kind of a nobody. He's supposed to date supermodels and shit! I could be Nefer Suvio, and if I am being honest, my whole issue stems from that fact that I am not. Nor shall I ever be. I am beautiful, but not in that leggy and exotic way. Alas. At least I still have my fandom. Anyway, back to the task.

Today's Friday and our Free For All is going to be a little new. I'm going to share my ideas about The Cure's "Friday I'm in Love". I don't have a whole lot to say, so when I'm done, you guys can comment and we'll discuss. This will work best when everyone participates. Ready? OK!


Maybe it's not doing a lot of great things for my tendency toward depression, but God do I ever love New Wave. Seriously, I think I have a problem. While I have about 30 Pandora stations, the only one I ever seem to listen to is my The Cure station. It has everything.

Depeche Mode? Check.
Morrissey? Check.
Echo and the Bunnymen? Check.
The Church? Check.
Duran Duran? Check!
The Smiths? Check?
The Psychadelic Furs? Check.
The Violent Femmes? Check.

Lots of moody bands, all day everyday, and all I had to do was type "The Cure". However. Maybe it's the luck of the draw, but I have yet to hear my all time favorite Cure song on there: "Friday I'm In Love". Maybe it sounds too happy to be up in amongst all that dark and broody-ness which is really too bad as it's a trick song.

That got your attention, huh?

I love a trick song. My favorite one is Lou Reed's "Who Loves the Sun". What makes a song tricky, you ask? One tiny little thing: the lyrics and the music contradict one another. "Who Loves the Sun" is a great example of this - the music is all pop sounding and upbeat, meanwhile, the lyrics are sad, whiny, emo, and downright depressing. "Who loves the sun? Who cares that it makes plants grow? Who cares what it does since you broke my heart?" Sounds like it oughtta be a blues song - Billie Holiday should sing it. But no, it's this chipper, chirpy song with lots of catchy "ba ba ba ba ba"s going on.

So too, is "Friday I'm in Love". It's this upbeat pop song with catchy lyrics - but wait - what Robert Smith actually saying? Let's examine the text, shall we?

First Verse:

I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's gray and Wednesday too
Thursday I don't care about you
It's Friday I'm in love
Monday you can fall apart
Tuesday Wednesday break my heart
Thursday doesn't even start
It's Friday I'm in love

Then the bridge:

Saturday wait
And Sunday always comes too late
But Friday never hesitate

No comments:

Post a Comment