Saturday, September 1, 2012

Uranium J: Too Legit to Quit

Hammer Time.
What do you think of the new look around here? I kinda like it. Why the change? I bought some business cards with the blog info on it, and I thought it might be nice if they matched. When they arrive, I will be sure to post a picture.

Why did I feel it necessary to get me some business cards? Well, I thought I was going to go to The Escapist Expo in a few weeks, and I thought it would be nice to look like I was a professional. Since I ordered the cards, though, I decided that since j^C can't go with me that there's really no reason for me to go. It's all about gaming and I'm not a gamer. I'm just a geek by proxy. The only reason I wanted to go was because there were going to be writers there. The chance to possibly "network" with some successful authors is a chance not to be missed, right?

Wrong. After researching these people I see that while we are all writers, we are not all of the same ilk. I might read some fantasy fiction from time to time, but I'm not versed enough on the genre to be able to participate fully in the panels and Q&A sessions. While I would love to meet Yahtzee Croshaw and Jim Sterling, I can't bear the thought of coming away from the event and having them think I'm an idiot. Plus, I don't want to part with the sheckles for the trip. $30 for the 3 day pass is no big, but the hotel, the gas, the food, the "incidentals" - they add up. Instead, I'm going to save my money and spend a quiet, Sprout free weekend at home, working on my resume and my writing samples.

Now, "Why would you want to do that?", you ask. So glad you asked.

I've been doing a lot of "professional development" recently, after coming to terms with the fact that a traditional 9-5 job just isn't in the cards for me at this time. I'm trying to make the most of this situation, because it's really not a bad deal. I can fulfill my dream of being "A Writer"! There's just a couple of catches though: A) Writers write things other than their blogs and B) Writers have proof of their chops. You know what I have? One little article that was published on Offbeat Home. What I want is a staff writer position at Weird Tales Magazine.

You see my dilemma.

So, I'm setting out to make myself "marketable" as a writer. I've been working up my LinkedIn profile, trying to make friends with other bloggers, and rewriting my resume. These things pale in comparison to the daunting task of assembling a portfolio of writing samples though. I expect it to be a maddening, tedious, and incredibly fun adventure. I wonder if by the end, I will wish I had gone The Escapist Expo after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment