Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Nick Rhodes and I Have a Very Special Relationship

I don't want to talk to you about Duran Duran today. I really don't. There's been entirely too much celebrity worship cluttering things up around here, and I'd really like to get back to my story, your stories (should any of you ever choose to submit them) and the general glorification of the mundane. I can't do that though. Not yet. Why? Nick Rhodes, Simon Lebon, and John Taylor came to visit me last night, and since this happens maybe once a year (and that's a liberal estimate), I can't really not write about it.

I was all in the middle of this. Heaven. Source

I was at a this huge arena show, and somehow I was backstage. I had a press pass or something. At one point I was with the whole band, and it turned out that this was some kind of charity show benefiting single mothers. Simon was performing and giving out all sorts of things like he was Maury Povich and it was Christmas. Nick, John, and I wind up in the back of a limo, and I was so tired. Nick was tired too, as he was still recovering from his case of exhaustion, so he let me wrap my arms around his waist and rest my head on his chest. He laid his head against mine and we could have probably fallen asleep like that. I felt so calm and safe. It was nice.

I was between Nick and John. Nick's hair looked fabulous. This was definitely mid to late 90s Nick, my favorite.  When we all started "catching up" I moved my head to Nick's shoulder so I could look at John when he spoke. He looked as though he'd just stepped out of the Ordinary World video, all tailored suit and rock star hair.  I asked them how they were getting on with the new guitarist since Andy had left and whether they thought Warren might rejoin them at any point. I said I thought their best period was when Warren was with the group, although I am glad that Roger came back on board and have developed quite an appreciation for him. They said they weren't sure about Warren ever returning because he was still working with Missing Persons, but the new guy was very good. I agreed.

I told John that I had finally  gotten around to seeing A Diva's Christmas Carol and asked if he was planning on anymore acting in the future. He laughed, "You saw that abysmal movie?" and I nodded. "No, I don't think that I'll be acting again any time soon, as you are the only one who's given me a favorable review." I think I asked him about his book at that point. He and Nick then started telling Duran stories and I asked them if they would like to submit to First Person Narrative. I felt kind of strange asking them, but I thought they might like to help out an old friend. I remember Nick being much more chatty than he is in this narrative, but I don't remember much of what he had to say, most likely because I was swimming in the jade colored pools that are his eyes.

The hair cost him the Emmy. Source

And this is what I have dreams about, kids. I will say this, every time I've had a midnight rendezvous with Duran Duran, and Nick in particular, it has always been very pleasant. He is a very pleasant person to spend a dream with, and I suspect he's equally charming in person.Would that I could get an exclusive Duran story to put up here. I wonder what I can do with my unconditional love of Duran Duran though. What new angle, what new spin, what new story, can I tell about my boys? I have something in the works for NaNoWriMo, which I hope to share with you all starting in December.

You'd get lost too. Source

Meanwhile, now that I am awake, it occurs to me that I would be mortified to meet the boys in person, looking the way I look. I'm sure they wouldn't be mean or judgy, but I wouldn't want to be "that pudgy writer girl" anyway. These are men who've married and spawned supermodels. Gracious and kind as they are to their fans, I don't want to be just another overweight Duranie housewife, but that's exactly what I am. This could be the spiraling depression talking though. I've been binging a lot the past few days. Today alone, I ate an entire Red Baron pizza, and that was after having such a nice time behind my eyes with Nick and John. Imagine what I might have done if I'd had a nightmare. I am seriously thinking about going to a meeting. I told j^C that I've been having "dark thoughts" (make of that what you will) and he's called me 3 or 4 times today from work. My slow suicide isn't in a bottle or a rope or a gun though, it's going down my throat and coursing through my veins already.

That got pretty dark. I'm sorry. To conclude: I love Duran Duran, and Nick Rhodes always seems to enter my dreams when I need him most.

2 comments:

  1. My former (and awesome) boss has a major Duran Duran thing. it seems like at every get together somehow the subject comes up and it is absolutely hilarious to hear her husband's side of the story when it comes to the Duran Duran phenomenon. He describes being pulled through teaming crowds of crazed women as his wife held him with a death grip as she barreled through the masses to try to get close to the stage. I, for one, have not had much exposure to Duran Duran but from the sounds of it they are something special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are very few things in this world that bring me as much unadulterated joy as Duran Duran. Now I must burn you a best of compilation . . . I've only seen them twice, and I'm not the type to go barreling through the throng, although I would love to meet them someday. I'm kind of jealous of your former boss. Someday though. Someday.

    ReplyDelete