Monday, March 19, 2012

Salieri Cuts a Rug (Part 3)

Dear Friends and Gentle Readers: 

This is Part 3 of a longer piece that I have written. If you missed the first part, there's a link to it down below. I think it wise to break it up into sections, fear easier consumption. Come along with me as I share my journey through the world of dance and as I navigate the new territory of serial blog entries. It'll be fun! 

Salieri Cuts a Rug (Part 1) 
Salieri Cuts a Rug (Part 2) 


Salieri Cuts a Rug (Part 2)

At around 6, my mom drove me back up to the school so I could look at the list posted on the door. I didn't make it. I tried hard to take it in stride, but I was disappointed. I guess anyone would be. I tried to be upbeat. I blamed my failure on the fact that I had made my KISS makeup plans known. I blamed my thinner, but not thin enough figure. I blamed the EBBB. 



Also, I'm still kinda pissed that I never got to rock this look.

OK, so I was mad. After all, me and one other girl were the only ones who could do a split. (I have always been very proud of my flexibility.) Thankfully, I had the weekend to get over it, and a big English project to work on besides.

By the following Friday, the sting had passed and I was very involved in my English project - a living museum in which I had a large speaking role. Our class was divided into groups of four, each having to act out a different scene from some book. We set up in the library and other classes came in and watched us do our scenes. When the scene was done, we were supposed to be really still like wax figures. 

Well, wouldn't you know, the EBBB brought her class round to see our little project. I don't remember what our scene was about, but I remember I was a grieving mother and there was a point went I had to start wailing about my dead offspring. It was quite over the top, but I have never been shy about embarrassing myself in that sort of capacity. It was appropriate to the scene at any rate, and I felt like I was making up for my group mates who were much more subdued. This was entertainment, people! We had to put on a show! 


Why I didn't win a Tony that year, I'll never know.
I tried to ignore the EBBB when she came round and performed my part as though I were not trying to save face after blowing my tryout. Apparently, it worked. A short time later, I happened to cross paths yet again with the EBBB who told me "Acting is your forte." 

I'm sure that it was meant as a compliment, but at the time, it came across as "Acting is your forte; cheering is not". It kind of reopened the wound. Thankfully, the school year was nearly over, so I only had a week or two to stew about it before I was distracted by the goings on of summer.

Check back tomorrow for Part 4 of Saliri Cuts a Rug!

No comments:

Post a Comment