Thursday, March 29, 2012

Anything For a Buck . . .

I have an impulse control problem. This manifests in many ways, but I feel the most interesting way is my willingness to buy just about anything “for the right price." The thing is usually a CD, and the price is usually a dollar or less. I have become the proud owner of quite a few unique gems in this way.

When I was in the 9th grade I got $50 a month allowance. Even in the long, long ago of 2000, $50 didn’t go far, so I had to stretch them greenbacks for all they was worth. I remember clearly the first time I bought a CD “cus it’s only a dollar." I had spent the morning cheering on our cross country team as an unofficial cheerleader. 

Yeah, our cross country team had cheerleaders. Why? Because we were so unique and non conformist. 

Anyway, afterwards my boyfriend picked me up and we spent the afternoon in St. Augustine at the “mall” (so written that way because there was almost nothing in it). There was a DC Warehouse though.
I am a music fiend and I was happy as a clam to spend the rest of my afternoon in there. Some people spend hours perusing comics or books. Not me. Heaven forbid I come within walking distance of a music store. You might not ever see me again. The demise of the music store is a casualty that I greatly mourn. 

I remember when even Crescent City had a music store . . . 

I digress.
After being in the CD Warehouse for over an hour, my greed was getting the better of me. I wanted to buy more than the Incubus CD that I had picked, but I only had 2 or three bucks left over after paying for it. 

Then, what before my wandering eyes should appear? Why, nothing other than the $1 clearance rack! I went to see what I could see. I had never heard of most of the bands and the ones I had heard of weren’t anything I wanted to waste the last of my money on. But I kept looking. Surely, there was something of value in there.

I looked at every CD on the rack. It must have taken 20 minutes. I’m sure by this point my boyfriend was over the whole music store scene. However, despite his faults with things like this he had the patience of Job. Finally, based on cover art and titles alone I had $2 worth of merchandise that I was ready to buy. 

The first was Lee Blaske –Immortal Kiss of the Vampire I was still going through my Anne Rice/Subspecies/”I’m not a Goth!”-Goth phase, so the vampire CD was a no brainer. 
So, maybe I had a Goth streak. At least I wasn't a douchy Vampire Kid.
The second was SWANS – Omniscience. I have no idea why I bought it. I liked the picture I guess.
Admit it. You'd pay a dollar for that.
For those of you who are unaware, SWANS kind of invented industrial music, and the CD that I snapped up for a mere dollar was worth close to $40, last I checked. It was just an added bonus that I actually liked the music. I wound up being quite a fan. 

Matter of fact, I emailed Michael Gira, a few times and he even wrote back! (One my simple joys in life is when someone I think is famous – regardless of whether or not they really are – acknowledges my existence.) 

As for the other, Lee Blaske did not return my emails, much to my chagrin. Nevertheless, I enjoyed his music. It was both evocative and vampire-like. I was happy. 
I’ve bought several CDs over the years in the same manner; Weston – The Massed Albert Sounds and Kristeen Young – Meet Miss Young and Her All Boy Band, for example. 

When I listen to any of them, I get the Suadades. Those were simpler times. Good times. I remember that day so clearly, and it makes me smile. I always wish I could go back to that time and place. They make me miss something I cannot name. It sucks in a wistful way. I don’t know if it’s that music stores have gone the way of the dinosaurs or if I’ve simply become nostalgic before my time, but I don’t mind feeling this sense of longing. I’m missing something that was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment