Monday, October 17, 2016

NaNoWriMo Approacheth

This is the face of a writer on a mission.

I went to the library today to renew some books I had checked out and I thought to inquire as to whether or not they would be holding any events for NaNoWriMo. Evidently, they will not. All of the events for NaNoWriMo will be held at the Headquarters Library in Augusta. Call me lazy, but I don't really feel like schlepping all the way to Augusta for some Write-In at the library. Of course, I know that I should because this is how I'm going to meet people and get involved in the community, but there's a part of me that's thinking "Why can't I just be the Evans/Martinez Municipal Liason and hold Write-Ins at the library here?" I can't do that because I already have too much on my plate right now and once I add writing a novel to all that there's just not going to be time for me to be a Municipal Liason as well. I did it once, and while I wasn't bad at it, I don't think I'm up for it again at the moment. Maybe someday, but not today, Cobblepot. Not today.

Tonight I made my NaNoWriMo Playlist. This proved to be quite an arduous process, for you see I was working from CDs and some of them were unlabeled mixed CDs. Some of them were in my car. Most of them were in these huge CD wallets that hold hundreds of CDs that I had to painstakingly look through to find what I was looking for. Then, there were 5 CDs that I just couldn't find, so I had to download those songs. This process wound up taking several hours, but when it was all said and done I had a playlist I was happy with. At least, I think I'm happy with it. I'm going to listen to it for a while and see if I need to make any adjustments to it before NaNoWriMo begins. At the moment I feel like last year's playlist was stronger, but maybe that's just nostalgia. On the bright side, I just found out that the NaNoWriMo CD Swap is happening again this year so I am super prepared for that. All I have to do is burn my CDs and mail them out as soon as I get the addresses. In fact, I can be super efficient and burn them now and have them in the envelopes so that all I have to do is address them when the time comes. I'm not playing this year.

I've been working on my plot for about a month now as well. The idea came to me on my way to Valdosta for a UWF footbal game. Since I'll be driving to Pensacola on Friday for Homecoming, maybe I'll have time to think up some major plot points. I've also got some major character decisions to make, but as it stands, I have several pages of notes to work with, which is a lot more than I usually start with. As such, I think the benefits I reap this year will be many. I can "begin with the end in mind" as they say. I'm really excited about my idea. I think it's going to be a lot of fun to write and I think that I'm going to be able to make some really big points with it. You know, those "thinky" sorts of things that I'm so fond of. My only concerns are that my plot is cliche and/or unbelievable I suppose that's something that can be worked out in post though. As last year, I will be posting here daily to let you all see my progress. All two of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment