Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Four Women Who Inspire Me The Most

I saw this list on Peanut Butter Fingers' blog and I thought "Who are the four women who inspire me the most?". This question is more difficult for me than it might seem as I have way more male friends, heroes, and  people I talk to on a regular basis. I am a recovering female misogynist. I am older now, and realize what a stupid worldview that was to have in the first place. In the interest of furthering my recovery, I now give you

The Four Women Who Most Inspire Uranium J
(dunh! dunh! dunh!)

  • Captain Tesla
The things we did for student transitions.
Source

This girl is so talented it makes my head hurt. For her Undergraduate studies, she majored in Physics and got a minor in Philosophy. As an undergrad, she taught classes, worked her way up to a major leadership role in Student Transitions, presented research at a conference, all while (in my humble opinion) dressing like a rock star. As a grad student in the computer science department she was teaching physics to undergrads and doing all the normal grad school stuff, while preparing for some big ballet event. Presently, she's a PhD candidate in Physics. Yes, she's brilliant, she's beautiful, and she does point. She also has the most impeccable manners I have ever seen on someone in my generation. The grace and poise with which she conducts herself everyday has always impressed me and caused me to wonder if she went to finishing school and just didn't tell anyone. Her tastes in things that you buy at a Barnes and Noble are very similar to mine, something I appreciate since so few people understand my tastes. Did I mention she can drive a stick shift and play the piano? Or that she is very well versed on classical music? I could go on and on. This woman never ceases to blow my mind and I love it.
  • Merlisser
And she can grill! Source

I don't talk about Merlisser on here very often because she lives on the other side of the freaking country and is super busy with her husband and kid and the life they are trying to make for themselves in the Northwest. But I am usually in awe of her. She is one of the strongest and most positive people I know. I'm sure that she doesn't see it that way, but I promise you, it's true. Her random sense of humor and her perky personality never cease to make me smile, even when I really don't want to. I know that I am better having known her. She challenged me when I needed it, encouraged me when I was down and out, and never let me feel sorry for myself. I swear to you, she's a little Asian Ruby Gloom! She always looks on the bright side of the dark side. She has no problem going out of her comfort zone - a trait I envy. She moved COMPLETELY across the country for love. She took up sailing in college. She is a phenomenal artist. She knows how to keep cookies fresh. She is so full of life and love, compassion and creativity; and I sometimes hope that when I grow up, I can be a little bit like her. 
  • My Mom
Oh boy! A toothbrush! 

I sometimes think it's obligatory to add one's mother to these types of lists, but I was thinking about it today, and I really am inspired by my mom. Her life has never been easy, but she always tried to do her best by me and my sister. My grandmother died when my mom was five years old, so for most of her childhood she was motherless. She was also the only female in the household. This was a lousy situation, but I think she made the best of it. She held her own with her two older brothers and went on to work most of her life in fields dominated by men. Before she met my dad, she worked in a furniture factory and assembled sonobuoys. After I was born, she went to work full time with my dad as a handy"man". Learned plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and how to work on washers, dryers, and refrigerators. When my dad died, she was suddenly a single parent, and while it was hard, she made sure that money was never an issue when it came to the things that were really important. I had food, clothes, a car when I was 16, school trips, and more CDs than a teenager really has a right to. She fought and worked hard her entire life. I'm soft. If pushed, I doubt I could do half the things my mom has done, and while that humbles me to no end.
  • The Woman That Sprout Will Someday Become
That Sprout with Captain Tesla. Source

How's that for a sickly sweet abstract concept? It's true though, and here's why: Everything I do now is shaping who she will become, so I kind of have to be on my toes. While I am not in love with parenting, I totally love my child, and I want to see her become someone truly awesome. I might look like I don't care, but that's because I don't want to hover. I don't rush over immediately when she falls. I want her to be strong, fearless, brave, smart, funny, and a top notch problem solver. You know, all those things I'm not. I also want her to be an accepting and tolerant woman who has her own unique personality, her own likes and dislikes, and enough integrity and intestinal fortitude to think for herself and nevermind the bollocks. Kind of like me, but so much better. In order for her to end up this woman that I hope she becomes, I have to start acting like that woman now. That woman inspires me to be the best I can be everyday. I struggle and I strive and I hope that by the time she actually starts to become a woman, I'll be her mirror. Reflect what you are, in case you don't know. 

Yes, I know that last one was kind of a cop out, but I couldn't think of a fourth. Lesson? I need to have more amazing and awe inspiring women in my life. I'm taking applications . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment