Monday, December 7, 2015

Pear Harbour Day

What I know about Pearl Harbor Day because of my dad, who was in WWII. There's an interesting story for you. My dad was part of the Mighty 8th Air Force. I know I've mentioned this before, but I'll tell you all again because that was years ago when I still lived in Savannah. 

My dad who was born in 1920, was a crew chief stationed in England during WWII and growing up I heard a great many stories about the war. Mostly about how his Commanding Officer was rather useless and my dad more or less took command. I have no idea how true this was since my dad as far as I know was no more than a lowly Private First Class. Maybe he made rank? I've never had a look at his discharge papers and probably wouldn't know what I was looking at if I did.\

My dad made sure to let me know all the important dates when they rolled around on the calendar - Jewish holidays and American remembrance days. I never missed a Yom Kippur or a Pearl Harbor Day. What was strange about the former was the fact that we were not Jewish. I always assumed that fighting for the liberation of the Jews had an effect on him.

Were he alive, my dad would have just turned 95. Vera Lynn is 98 years old this Pearl Harbor Day and the only reason I even know who she is in the first place is because of Pink Floyd. My dad never talked about her. The only reason I know a lot of things is because of pop music, but I feel that's a discussion for another time when I have more time and attention to give to the matter. Until then, here's a pretty lady and a pretty song

Vera Lynn (Source)


Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
Remember how she said that
We would meet again
Some sunny day?
Vera! Vera! 
What has become of you?
Does anybody else in here 
Feel the way I do?


No comments:

Post a Comment