Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wednesday Reflections #5 - Channeling My Inner Black Woman

It's been a weird week.
No, not that kinda weird. That would have been fun. Source
I haven't been sleeping very well and since Saturday have been of a rather strange and melancholy humor. I hope this is nothing more than the after effects of fatigue brought on by the stomach flu. Before diving into the less than stellar aspects of the past week, let's focus on the things that are good and the things I got done.

This week I . .  .

  • Helped plan, coordinate, and execute the first meeting of the NEW Deep Fellows Writing Group.
  • Helped Team "And They Never Found The Body" to win 3rd Place at Trivia. We're going to make a comeback!
  • Wrote A LOT. Like, A WHOLE LOT. It's all just rough draft stuff, but I'm just happy words are going onto paper. 
  • Started watching House of Cards on Netflix. While this isn't really an accomplishment, it is a good thing. A very good thing. Just go now. Watch it. Two words: Kevin Spacey. Also: "Peachoid".
  • Bought some pretty dresses - for to wear at some undetermined time in the future. 
  • Helped haul a couch and a love seat across the street, which means that I now have "New to Me" furniture. Exciting! 
  • Re-read Kate Chopin's "The Story of an Hour". So, now I feel all feminist and smart. Sort of.
  • Had a conference with the Programs Manager for Deep about the direction and publication options for the New Deep Fellows Writing Group.
  • Planned my first Deep Workshop of the semester with my new Co-Teacher "X" who has yet to receive a cute blog name. It's coming, it's coming.
  • Made strawberry chocolate chip cookies. They were de-lish.
  • Took That Sprout to a jumpy place. She had lots of fun. We need to do this more often.
  • Lost a fair amount of weight (because I was sick). But it's staying off for the most part, so that's good.
That's actually a pretty long list. Looking at it, I'm rather impressed, considering the fact that I was certain I would die over the weekend and since my recovery I have been in a mood. I've been listening to a disproportionately large amount of 90s R&B songs since Monday night when I had insomnia. It started out with Tamia's "There's a Stranger in my House", and before long I was down the Diva rabbit hole.
I was YouTubing (because that's a verb now) Brandy's "Almost Doesn't Count" as soon as I woke from my 3 hour nap Tuesday morning, which let to lots of Toni Braxton, En Vogue, Whitney Houston, and eventually Elton John and George Michael who are also divas in their own right. I was waiting for Medea to come out from behind the couch wielding a chainsaw because  I was totally feeling like a mad black woman. Don't worry, I'm not going to be torturing anyone once they become a paraplegic. (That, dear friends and gentle readers, is what turned a cute and funny rom-com into a sadistic mess of a film. Why, Tyler Perry? Why?).
Also, Whitney was tweakin' waaaay back in 99' ya'll.
This video is all the proof I need. Source
Other than being all "Un-break my heaaaaaaAAAAAaaaaart! Say you'll love me agaaaaaaaAAAAAaaaaain!", I was also experiencing an sudden onset of intense daddy issues. "Father Figure" might as well be on repeat in my car. Like Wendy in Purple Rain, I think I've got my periods backwards - every 28 days I stop being depressed. Then, as soon as it's over, I'm the giraffe from Robot Chicken again, until the next period starts, which begins the "Acceptance" phase. And on, and on, and on, FOREVER! I hates it. :-(
But, unlike Wendy, I do not have fabulous hair. Bummer. Source
So, needless to say, although I've gotten a fair amount accomplished this week, it was all done despite physical illness and personal turmoil. I'm proud. Maybe next week will be better. I hope so, cus I can't even stand myself right now, what with this mopey Debbie Downer stuff.
Enough! Silence! I cain't take this shit no mo'! Source



No comments:

Post a Comment