Thursday, March 28, 2013

"I Love Things!" Thursdays - The One with Equal Rights n' Junk

I have to focus on the positive, lest I be swallowed up whole by the negative. So, I bring you once again,


1) Stephen Fry
Source

I love this man. He is a comedian, a scholar, a great humanitarian, and most importantly, a seemingly really down to earth human being. I love the many things he's worked on in his career such as A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Blackadder, and Wilde. As a matter of fact, it was through that last project that I became fully aware of who Mr. Stephen Fry was, as I saw the film at the height of my Oscar Wilde obsession. If you have not seen Wilde, then you need to stop whatever you are doing at this moment and go watch it. Seriously, go. I'll wait . . . Now, do you see? Wasn't that the most heart rending and beautiful portrayal of a troubled, brilliant, and complex character that you ever did see? And that Jude Law as Boisie - Wow. I think he go typecast as "bitchy twink" early on in his career. Glad to see that a couple of Michael Caine remakes allowed him to expand his repertoire. He's not important right now though; we're talking about Stephen Fry. A man who is a kind as he is smart, as articulate as he is funny. A man who has been very public about his personal struggles with manic depression and coming to terms with his sexuality. A finer living human being I cannot at this moment name. That's how great I think he is. If I could have someone in my life to serve as a father figure I only hope he is half the man that Stephen Fry is.

2) George Takei
Source
Geek. Star Trek alumnus. Champion for equal rights. Really funny guy. Possibly a little crazy. These are all reasons why I love George Takei. He is always putting something funny up on his facebook and I need that on days when the sneaky hate spiral starts to get me down. I also love how much he seems to love an support his friends. He posts birthdays and new project announcements. He doesn't have to, but he does. Also, he uses social media for good, not evil. (I will address this further in #3). He is a great example of the type of online presence I hope to some day be. What a great role model.

3) Internet Love for EQUALITY v DOMA/PROP H8
Source
It does my little liberal heart good to see facebook flooded with pink equal signs on a red field. Thank you George Takei for making me aware of the new logo - I changed my profile picture immediately. This is it. The people are speaking. While I have mixed feelings about the genesis of The Defense of Marriage Act*, I believe 100% that an aspect of someone's person hood need not be up for debate. I am so glad to see that people have come out in droves to support this cause. Maybe if we can resolve this issue the law makers can  focus their attention on our coffers instead of our bedrooms.


*It was and is completely unconstitutional because it in direct opposition to The Full Faith and Credit Clause as it is outlined in the United States Constitution but I feel that perhaps Clinton had to give in on something at the time in order to gain something else politically, like decreasing military spending in order to balance the budget. I do not believe Clinton wanted to do it, but it was politics as usual and I can see how it would have been a very hard but neccessary choice as I believe that the "Moral Majority" were in control of the house and the senate at the time. I'll check some history books and get back to you on it. My point is, like the Irish Free State, DADT and DOMA were stepping stones to where we are today, at least this is what I believe. 

4) Weird Al Yankovic and Family
The Photo is Property of Adam Rouska Source
Is this not the most beautiful thing you have ever seen in your entire life? Mojo Jojo posted this on my facebook wall and I think I just about cried. I have loved Weird Al since the 4th grade. I had 3 or 4 Bad Hair Day tapes because I played them so much that the tape shredded. Al, geek extraordinaire, comedian, human rights activist, and apparently all around nice guy is pictured here with his stunning wife and daughter in protest of Prop 8. I am astounded. I have fallen in love with the man all over again. Not only do I appreciate the sentiment, but I love the classy way in which this photo was executed. The whole family is there, showing solidarity, but the daughter's face is buried between mom and dad in order to not focus on her or bring her unwanted and unneeded exposure. Yet another thing that brought joy and sunshine into my life this week.  Can I also say that I love how beautiful his wife is rocking the natural hair color? I was not at all exageratting when I said that I think she is stunning.

5) Candace Gingrich-Jones
See that woman right there? Yeah, in 2003, in the DC headquarters of the HRC, I met her. I spoke to her. I shook her hand. I even put the picture in my senior yearbook, so proud was I that I met her. Who is she? She's Newt Gingrich's little sister, a lesbian and a tireless activist for equal rights. I remember seeing her on TV when I was a kid and Newt was Speaker of the House. I always thought she was just incredible. And I met her, people. She was awesome, and again, so down to earth and humble. Great people are great. She's an inspiration, not only on the equal rights front, but for me to know that I too can be great someday, and with my non-profit work, maybe I already am.

And now, since I'm on about equal rights, a song about transgender women. Why? Because we all deserve equal rights, (and because I fucking love Antony Hegarty of Antony and the Johnsons).


I wish Candy Darling were still here . . . 
I that not the most beautiful woman you have ever seen?
Photo property of Peter Kujar Source

No comments:

Post a Comment