Friday, January 9, 2015

Fan Girl Friday: David Bowie

Yesterday David Bowie celebrated his 68th birthday.

David Bowie is 68 years old.

In celebration of this fact, I give you:

28 Things About My Love for David Bowie


  1. I discovered David Bowie via Todd Haynes' film Velvet Goldmine. I would later learn that Bowie himself hated this film. 
  2. I didn't see Labyrinth until I was a freshman in high school. It was one of the things my best friend, MojoJoJo and I bonded over when we first met.
  3. My mom gave me the Sound + Vision box set for Christmas when I was in the ninth grade, along with the Labyrinth soundtrack. At this point my Bowie obsession was in full swing.
  4. When I was in high school, I wanted "David Bowie Hair" so badly that I decided to do it myself. I didn't make it any further than a bob and there was no way my mom was going to let me bleach my hair, so it never really panned out.
  5. While there are a great many fabulous Bowie songs, my favorite seems to be "Drive-In Saturday" although I couldn't really tell you why.
  6. David Bowie is the only reason I can sort of "pass" as a sci-fi geek. His music sparked my interest in all things "space alien". 
  7. I have taken many a fashion cue from Bowie. I love anything silver and shiny/glittery. In school I used craft glitter for eye-shadow.
  8. Duran Duran led me to David Bowie and they both ultimately led to Lou Reed who was, is, and always will be my Rock&Roll Father Figure.
  9. Without Bowie, there would be no Placebo and then what Captain Tesla and I have bonded over?
  10. Similarly, without David Bowie, there would be no Duran Duran. So, essentially, without The Grand White Duke I would be a completely different person.
  11. David Bowie's duet with Bing Crosby "Peace on Earth/The Little Drummer Boy" is one of my favorite Christmas songs. It marries my tastes with those of my parents perfectly, which I can't help but imagine was the point in the first place.
  12. The only reason I watched the film Absolute Beginners was because Bowie was in it. He wasn't exactly the star, but it was such a good book that I wound up reading the book it was based on.
  13. Same story with Zoolander.
  14. And The Hunger.
  15. And The Prestige.
  16. And Basquiat. I couldn't make it through that one though. It was too infuriating.
  17. I once sang "Space Oddity" acappella in a talent show in front of an auditorium full of people wearing blue lipstick and a black patent leather jacket.
  18. I used to wear blue and silver lipstick on the regular because "Glam Rock".
  19. The best part of the Moulin Rouge soundtrack was David Bowie singing "Nature Boy".
  20. I sing "Space Oddity" to That Sprout as a lullaby. 
  21. The fact that he sang "Space Oddity" in space is the only reason I know who Colonel Chris Hadfield is.
  22. Similarly, the only reason I care about the space program is because the world Bowie wrote about in his songs is that much closer to becoming a reality.
  23. Without Bowie I probably wouldn't love Ray Bradbury as much as I do.
  24. The first paper I wrote for college was on Velvet Goldmine and my teacher tried to tell me that was not also the name of a Bowie song. I then whipped out my copy of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars reissue and proved him wrong. It was a B-side. Todd Haynes ain't no slouch.
  25. I get really excited about the fact that Moby waters David Bowie's plants when he's out of town.
  26. I was also really excited to learn that the reason David Bowie's eyes are 2 different colors is because he was punched in the eye by his friend George Underwood. Since they are still friends it's fun to think "Maybe I'm related to a guy who knows David Bowie!"
  27. I am super jealous of the fact that Mojo Jojo got to hang out with Bowie and Iman when he was modeling full time. SUPER. JEALOUS.
  28. I met Shelley Lloyd randomly at the mall the day after I graduated high school. We were strangers, but we had David Bowie and glam rock in common. 10 years later, we're still pals.

No comments:

Post a Comment